Roasted Vegetable and Brown Rice Salad
March, 2015 · By Coryanne Ettiene
When I feel like eating, but not necessarily cooking, I make a big plate of roasted vegetables and brown rice salad. There I said it, I don’t always feel like cooking. That’s just the reality of life, no matter how much you enjoy cooking, there are days when you’d rather not. And when those days strike, I let my oven do all the hard work because frankly, there is nothing more lazy, and more satisfying that a big tray of roasted vegetables. It gives a certain validity to the saying “Peace, love and brown rice’. Peace because brown rice is soothing, earthy and is the sort of thing that makes you stop and enjoy what your eating. Love because I never tire of this dish – served chilled in the summer, or warm in the winter, I eat it year round and it never looses its allure.
I’m taking a short cut by using Veetee Rice, it takes all the waiting out of cooking brown rice, and makes serving a quick healthy dinner a breeze….. Click here to watch my latest AOL video featuring this salad, or watch it below.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 Spanish onion, quartered
- 10-12 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic bulb, separated
- 8-10 Asparagus stalks
- 5 Small sweet peppers, topped and quartered
- 2 Summer squash, top, tailed and diced
- 2 Zucchini, top, tailed and diced
- 2 packets of Veetee Brown Rice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Splash of chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all the vegetables in to a big mixing bowl and drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil; and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss until they are evenly coated, and then transfer to the baking sheet.
- Roast the vegetables for 35 minutes or until they are tender and light golden brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- While the vegetables roast, combine the mustard, vinegar, herbs honey, salt and pepper into a small bowl and whisk together before slowly adding the oil and whisking again.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, remove from the oven and allow them to rest while you prepare the rice by adding 2 packets of Veetee Brown Rice and a splash of chicken stalk to a sauce-pan. Gently simmer for 2 minutes to heat through stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the rice to a serving tray, top with the roasted vegetables and garnish with the dressing before serving.