Ignite the Romance with an AphoristicFeast
January, 2014 · By Coryanne Ettiene
Forgive me, I am moving slow this week… must have something to do with the ridiculous amount of Champers and strawberries I had this weekend. Just saying that makes me giddy, because the last time I could confess to a weekend away with my Sexy Lexy was years ago. Somehow parenthood, work, daily life and every other excuse got in the way, but this weekend we finally left all the excused behind and indulged on a weekend of booze, food and spa treatments like two newlyweds without a care in the world.
Despite only being a few days away from our weekend adventure, it seems like forever ago…suddenly laundry and dishes fill my love struck mind and then I see the a bowl of strawberries in the fridge, and the memories come flooding back. The connection between food and emotion is timeless, every milestone or celebration has a connection, and Valentine’s Day is one day where the two intertwine in a fabulous waltz of history, myth, aroma, taste and romance.
This Valentine’s Day let your senses take hold, and let romance bloom by offering up an aphoristic feast for the soul that will ignite your passion and excited the senses:
- Get your dose of dopamine is the stimulant we all need to feel sexy. It makes things taste good, smell good, sound good, look good, and above all-feel good. To get Dopamine you need to either eat copious amounts of oily fish or simply take fish oil supplements. Avoid caffeine in all its forms as it interferes with a proper serotonin-dopamine balance.
- Eat avocado. The Aztecs thought the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled the male’s testicles. But it is good for you because it is it is high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eat figs. The Ancient Greeks celebrated the arrival of a new crop of figs by ritual copulation as they were motivated by the ideas that it looked like female genitalia. It will work well for you because it’s an excellent source of iron, magnesium, and zinc. Besides that, Cleopatra loved it, good enough for her, good enough for you.
- Eat peaches. The Chinese feel that it represents sexuality because of its moist pink colour, its fuzzy skin, and the juicy flesh and scent. It will work for you because it is high in vitamin C and will keep you strong for your next adventure in the bedroom.
- Eat Bananas. They have a suggestive phallic shape (had you noticed?), but are good for you because they contain potassium and B vitamins which are essential for sex hormone production.
- Eat dark expensive chocolate. Everyone associates chocolate with love, but it is good for you because it contains a stimulant called phenylethylamine, which gives you a sense of well being and excitement similar to the natural high that endorphins give us.
- Eat raw oysters. Ok this one I will pass on, having tried them years ago and nearly spoiled my cocktail dress, but if you can handle them, they are a classic aphrodisiac food since the time of Aphrodite. They are good for you because they are rich source of zinc, a mineral required for testosterone production. This male hormone is believed to increase the female libido as well.
- Drink Valarian Root. This is my favourite sleeping tonic, found in health food stores in liquid or tea form. For this trick you need the liquid form, and not too much or else you find yourself on the sofa with only sexy dreams and not the real thing. In small doses it is good for you because it relaxes you and stimulates touch.
And what is a celebration without a little booze? Sip on one of my Valentine inspirited cocktails from Celebrations.com and have yourself a Valentine’s Day to remember…….
- 9 1/2 Weeks Martini Recipe
- Arabian Night Cocktail Recipe
- Love Potion No. 5 Recipe
- Peachy Love Sparkler Recipe
- Monkey Love Shot Recipe